Alzheimer’s & Dementia
ALZHEIMER’S DISEASE AND RELATED DEMENTIAS (ADRD)
There is a lot to learn when it comes to Alzheimer’s and dementia. Below you will find just a few facts.
For more in-depth education on ADRD you may benefit from some of our frequent classes. Classes cover a variety of topics from a general overview of ADRD to in-depth training on specific tasks such as mouth care and bathing.
A FEW FACTS
• It has been over 100 years since Dr. Alois Alzheimer first described what became known as Alzheimer’s disease.
• Alaska has the fastest growing senior population in the United States.
• Over 8,500 Alaskans are living with Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia, 5.4 million people in the United States.
• Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the country, and the only one among the top 10 that cannot be prevented or cured.
• Identified risk factors include age, genetics and an individual’s overall health but the cause of Alzheimer’s is still unknown in most cases.
• One in nine persons over 65, will develop dementia.
You can also contact us with questions or if you would like to sit down for a consultation with one of our specialists.