What is Giving Tuesday?
Giving Tuesday is a global generosity movement unleashing the power of people and organizations to transform their communities and the world on December 3, 2019 and every day.
It was created in 2012 as a simple idea: a day that encourages people to do good. Over the past seven years, this idea has grown into a global movement that inspires hundreds of millions of people to give, collaborate, and celebrate generosity.
Donate to Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska through Giving Tuesday.
When you give through Giving Tuesday…
…you can help out senior Alaskans, their caregivers, and others of any age with disabilities. Here are some resources you can provide to those with Alzheimer’s or related dementias when you donate to Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska:
- Virtual Dementia Tour: This tour is designed to give you an up-close, hands-on experience to see how a person with dementia gets through the day. It will change the way you think, relate, and take care of the elderly. Many take it more than once to “refresh” their experience. $15/tour
- Memory Screening: This is a free, non-diagnostic assessment that can serve as a baseline for people to use in comparison later in life. $20/screening
- Savvy Caregiver: This six-week class is only for family caregivers. Topics include emotions and decision making, and provides a thorough overview of dementia and caregiving. $100/participant
- “ABC Series” (including webinars): Short workshops on a variety of topics for people caring for people with Alzheimer’s disease or related dementia. Everything from “What is Dementia?” to “Adult Guardianship”. $280 for a class of 10
- Dementia Care Essentials: This workshop is for direct care workers. It teaches the fundamentals of dementia as well as practical skills such as communication techniques, activities and best practices in de-escalating difficult behaviors. This course can be condensed into a four-hour workshop for larger facilities wanting to train several employees at once and may provide continuing education credits. $90/participant (not including CEU’s)
- Art Links: This weekly class provides a vehicle for self-expression for an individual with memory loss as well as a great place to socialize. Care partners may stay with the class or go to a support group across the hall, knowing their person is in a safe, dementia-friendly place. $200 for a class of 10
- Care Coordination for seniors who don’t qualify for a Medicaid Waiver. $55/hour