Coloring has the ability to relax the fear center of your brain by inducing a state similar to meditation, calming a restless mind.
Coloring for adults has become very popular. There are adult coloring books for sale everywhere. It is a great activity for the young and old!
Benefits of Coloring for Seniors
- Improves mood
- Relieves stress
- Reduces agitation
- Promotes social interaction
- Improves hand-eye coordination
- Helps to maintain fine motor skills
- Promotes creativity
- Colored pencils
- Watercolor pencils – can be blended for a nice effect
- Felt-tip markers are not the best since they often bleed and can be hard to control
- Pictures that are age-appropriate
Coloring for People Living With Dementia
- Avoid pictures with too much detail
- Pick out pictures from daily life that they can recognize – flowers, birds, landscapes
- Pictures from the past – vintage cars, trains, toys, etc.
We don’t endorse any of the sites below. These are just some resources we found inspiration from:
- Art-is-fun.com – Free Adult Coloring Pages
- Favecrafts.com – Free Adult Coloring Pages
- BetterDayBooks.com – Free Coloring
Below and along the right are some favorite printable coloring PDF’s to get you started! Click an image to open it then download and/or print.